- Use a gas lamp only outdoors or in a well ventilated area.
- Use only the mantle suitable for your lamp.
- Remove and discard the ash of the mantle to be replaced ensuring that the the nozzle is absolutely clean.
- Clean the lamp glass from it's inside and outside.
- Tie the mantle around the nozzle using the tie string.
- Distributing the fabric evenly all around the nozzle.
- Cut off the excess tie string and discard.
- Pull the bottom of the mantle slightly down gently to make the mantle take the shape of a bag.
- Ignite the mantle using a match stick or a lighter taking care that the match stick or the lighter does not touch the mantle.
- Allow the mantle to burn off completely.
- Start the supply of fuel gradually. Ignite the mantle using a match stick or lighter if the mantle does not ignite on its own.
Following the above instructions will lead to a bright white light, and a very satisfactory experience.